Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Another Proposal

...from a book, that is. I had a cold all of last week and didn't feel up to doing much (including work), but did read quite a bit of a few short notes on tropical butterflies (from the Barnes & Noble bargain table). The first story, "The Hill Station," is about a 40-something cholera-expert visiting India. She receives this proposal from the young man sitting next to her on the bus:
"Let me put my assests clearly," he said. "Number one. I am having a good education, primary and secondary. At school, I received the Joginder Reddy Sugar Factory Gold Medal for standing first in my class. Number two. I am healthy and take daily exercise. I am a useful cricketer. Number three. I am keen in computers. I keep myself updated on hardware and software up gradations. Number four. I do painting - oil - and watercolors, as well as cartooning and sketching. I am also good at photography. Number five. I am not a bad-looking man. People have told me that I look like Mr. Imran Khan the great Pakistani cricketeer. Please take this summary."

That just kills me every time I read it. It must be the romantic in me (or because software "up gradations" reminds me of Uganda). :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home