Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Elizabethtown

I'm supposed to be working on an article about science, but just like I did in college, I'm finding something else to do until the last possible second... Desperation is my muse, I've decided. Actually, I never procrastinated this bad in school, and I better break this habit before it becomes too engrained, because it's a little scary.

But anyway, I have been meaning to blog about this movie ever since I watched it last week. Elizabethtown starts off really slow and weird, but at least it's funny (after the failure of his tennis shoe design, Orlando Bloom's character is going to commit suicide on an exercise bike he has rigged up with a knife...and then the phone rings). But keep watching, because although the whole movie is pretty quirky, it gets a lot better. I like the "almost romance" of Drew and Claire (Kirsten Dunst) talking on the phone all night, I guess. But the best part is the end, when Drew goes on a roadtrip with an urn of his dad's remains. Claire made him a scrapbook map complete with exact instructions on where to stop for chili, and mix CDs with music for 42 hrs and 11 minutes of the way. The best, of course, is when he plays "Pride (In the Name of Love)" at the hotel where Martin Luther King, Jr. died.

So, I guess part of the reason I enjoyed it so much is because it really made me want to go on a roadtrip! Which isn't very practical right now, of course, even if it almost 10 degrees above zero now, but who wants to go on another mini roadtrip across Montana this summer?? (Maybe someplace we haven't been, although Virginia City and Butte were a lot of fun!) And then there's the trip to Denver Brooke and I are going on pretty soon...

Ok, back to work.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:10 PM, Blogger Melodee said…

    Yeah, makes me want to go on a roadtrip, too. But who is going to make the amazingly cool map and mix CDs?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home