Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Monday, April 04, 2005

Kalfin i Gopsya

Or, as we Americans say, Calvin & Hobbes. I was reading the tenth anniversary ed. during dinner (everyone else ate already, so I wasn't being antisocial. Really...) and now it's got me on a C&H kick.

These names have got to be made up: Gasper in Hops? That sounds like a beer-soaked cigarette, not a kid and his tiger! Why can't the Slovokians learn to speak English??

I love the C&H poems - read Yukon Ho.

Wikipedia even has a whole article on C&H! That's pretty funny. For those of you who don't have more or less the complete collection, and need a quick fix, this C&H Wonderland site is really good...

It's so hard to pick a favorite, but one of mine is when Calvin's mom comes into the living room and sees him pounding big spiky nails into the table. She screams, "What are you doing?" in panic. Calvin looks at her blankly, and asks... "Is this a trick question?"

OK, so they don't translate so well into text. ;-)

1 Comments:

  • At 7:15 AM, Blogger Andrea said…

    What an impressive compilation, Amanda!! As a long time C&H fan, I very much appreciate each and every one of these links. Now, if only I didn't have to work and could just surf all day....*sigh*

     

Post a Comment

<< Home