Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Monday, April 04, 2005

While We're On the Subject...

As you all know, I'm not much of a dog lover. But to join in the spirit of the thing, here is my tribute to the one dog I truly loved, written the morning after he died, when I was 11 years old.

Sabre
Sabre, Sabre, forever friend
Sabre, Sabre, second to none
Sabre, Sabre, even in pain, you are number one.

The romps and frolics did you in,
But we remember how you had been
When we first saw you rolling on the ground,
A little puppy with black and brown.

And now I see you lying on the floor
Having no pain forevermore.
And if the Lord wills we will see you again.

Sabre, Sabre, forever friend
Sabre, Sabre, second to none
Sabre, Sabre, even in pain, you are number one.

Would you believe it? I started crying as I typed it up!

1 Comments:

  • At 7:09 AM, Blogger Andrea said…

    Holy cow, you were ELEVEN?!? Apparently, Melodee, you have ALWAYS been the incredibly talented girl I know and love. My favorite line is "The romps and frolics did you in". Poor noble Sabre...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home