Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Friday, April 01, 2005

If I hadn't been an English major...

I've been proofreading our new catalog all day, which is a job that by the end is a crazy combination of extreme boredom, weariness, and even...fun. Anyway, reading about microscope slides this morning was really fascinating and I've been wanting to post about them every since. (Don't you admire my self-control?) So if I wasn't an English major, I'd wish I were brave enough to be a microbiologist.

Who knew single-celled organisms could look so cool? Or that plants develop from something like this, and a leaf cross section looks like stained glass?

Compare frog blood to human blood. (It's not gross, Melodee.)

Did you know crabs don't start out as crabs, exactly? I knew about insect metamorphosis, but take a look at this: a crab zoea stage doesn't resemble an adult at all, but in a secondary megalops stage you can tell a claw is, sort of, a claw.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home