Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Fighting Ducks

We have two ducks at work - they've been nesting here every year since we've been in this building. Don't know why.

When I got to work this morning and there were two male ducks fighting in the middle of the parking lot. They were biting away at each other's chests, and there were feathers littering the parking lot. I had no ideas ducks were such violent creatures...it looks like they ain't stopping till one flies off or dies.

Anyway, they're still going at it. I hope our duck wins.

9:30 Update:

After taking a breathing spell, in which both male ducks (mallards?) sat in the shade and preened themselves, they're back at it. There's now duck blood splattered in our parking lot. The female is pretty happy, though. She's hanging around, not caring much who wins. Or so it appears...

"Fight! Fight! Ooh, get 'im, Billy! Nice one, Bobby! What a bite!"

8 Comments:

  • At 9:52 AM, Blogger Andrea said…

    Seriously. Duck blood??

     
  • At 11:51 AM, Blogger Brooke said…

    How can you tell if amanda is at a cock fight.

    She is the only one that brings a duck

    Im sorry you just asked for it. i didn't know that you enjoyed watching fights. You know we could go to the fights on thursday night. he he

     
  • At 2:10 PM, Blogger Andrea said…

    What, no update??? I've been worried SICK about the ducks all day! Did your duck win? Is the little duck family left fatherless??

     
  • At 2:12 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    lol...thanks, Brooke. :-P Don't think real fights would be as fascinating, though.

    There really is duck blood. But last time I checked, though, the boys had settled down and one was just pecking half-heartedly at the other while both followed the female duck around...

     
  • At 2:13 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    Hey! looks like our messages crossed, Andrea. I would have posted, but I thought nobody else was interested in this epic battle!

    More to come... (hopefully I remember to bring my camera tomorrow!)

     
  • At 6:53 PM, Blogger Anna Murnion said…

    oh dear...

    I really have no comment on this, and Amanda already knows how I feel about this post. ;-)

     
  • At 7:37 PM, Blogger oldwhitelady said…

    Did you take wagers on who would win?

     
  • At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Really? blood? that is gross!! i always thought those ducks at work were so cute!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home