Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Harry Potter & Science

I came across this article today on a homeschooling board about Harry Potter in the classroom. Of course I thought it was a pretty cool idea, tying HP into physics and chemistry.

But the science teacher in the article says something to the effect that Christians shouldn't mind what she's doing (using HP in the classroom) because it's all about science, not "magic" - showing how science can do all the things (or close enough) that magic does in the books. Maybe it's just me, but it seemed like that's actually something Christians shouldn't necessarily be excited about. Science doesn't explain everything; there are supernatural things. Not in the same way as depicted in HP, but we believe that God is a spirit, that there are angels and demons, that evil is real. In some ways, the magical universe of Harry Potter has more in common with a Christian worldview than "science as the answer to everything" does...

I still like the idea of using Quidditch (sp?) as an intro to talking about aerodynamics, though. :)

1 Comments:

  • At 12:17 PM, Blogger Molly said…

    Funny -- I just posted something last night about how Harry Potter can be beneficial to readers!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home