Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

One of the many reasons why I hate Walmart...

What's up with the light blogging lately? I'm not complaining (because I am also a blog-slacker), just wondering...

Well, I haven't been able to come up with any unique or interesting ideas lately, so I just decided to post these links to a series of stories about the new singles campaign hosted by Walmart. You can go to Walmart during "singles night", tie a big red bow to your cart and start scoping out the potential of other red-bowed shoppers. There are even "flirt points" set up all over the store where you and your soul mate can meet up. It apparently has been working in Germany for awhile and they decided to try it in Arkansas. Well, it has not been working too well and they have decided to pull the plug, much to the dismay of some "single shoppers".

Disheartened single Dale Firebaugh, 63, of Roanoke said he showed up last night hoping to meet an attractive woman only to be told by store employees that corporate higher-ups buckled after several people complained about the program.
"I'm disappointed," Firebaugh said. "Where can someone over 40 who doesn't smoke or drink or go to bars meet someone? I'm really disappointed that they would let a couple of little complaints stop Singles Shopping."
...
Last night, after learning of the program's demise, he bought a red ribbon in the store's fabrics section for 26 cents and stood by the front doors, partly in protest and partly in hopes that single women would recognize the ribbon as an invitation to chat.


See? This is one of the reasons why I hate Walmart. They try to sell ANYTHING and now, they are selling PEOPLE!! I can just picture that little bouncing smiley face coming around with his price-cutting machete slicing the prices on a display of single, desperate Walmart shoppers...

(Hat tip: Every Blog Needs a Title)

Amanda says...
That's a hilarious story, but also pretty sad. Yet another reason to go to Target! :)

While we're talking about weird news, have you all heard about the flip-flop fiasco at the White House? It happened a week or two ago, but I still think it's funny. It made front headlines in Chicago...maybe they were tired of talking about murders, so they decided to pick on girls' footwear. What's the world coming to?

I, of course, see nothing wrong with wearing nice "flip-flops." ;-)

Andrea replies...
YES! I did hear about that! And of course I instantly thought of the Schaner girls and their obsession with flip-flops. I do think that they probably should've wore something a little nicer, but as long as we are picking them apart, I think we should also comment on some of the girls' short short skirts and low low shirts. Why do they pick on their shoes and not pay attention to the other 'inappropriate apparel' that is not suited for a meeting with the PRESIDENT!? It's sad, I tell ya!! (For those of you that may not know what we're talking about, click here to view the infamous picture.)

Melodee says:
Well, the last two Sundays I wore flip-flops to church, for the first time in my life. I did it the first time because I was on a camping trip and didn't have room to pack nice shoes, and I did it the second time because I had nothing else that matched. I don't really plan to do it again. Considering that fact along with the fact that I get very disgruntled at MSU-B graduations when I see everyone in academic robes and flip-flops (what would Harriet say!), you can just imagine what I think about wearing them to the White House. ;-)

Amanda chimes in again...
Way to go, Melodee! ;-) Andrea, I agree with you about the rest of the team's attire being a little more questionable than what was on their feet. Isn't mostly-bare feet more respectful than even partly-bare breasts or thighs? I'm not blaming these girls; everyone else does it too. It's just weird that anyone would nitpick about their shoes. (Thanks for pointing this out!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home