Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Thursday, May 19, 2005

May the force be with you

My sister called me last night while she was standing in line to see the 12:01 showing of Star Wars Episode III. I'm proud to admit that I completely forgot that today was opening day of the last movie of the never ending epic. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the original trilogy. They are obvious classics, but Episodes I and II have been disappointments. One of the only good things I can say about the first two episodes is that they did a really good job of making me hate Anakin. The idea of him turning to the dark side ain't so bad knowing him as the whiny brat that he is. But enough about that. In the spirit of Star Wars and my bizarre sense of humor, I'm linking to a hilarious article that OpinionJournal's Best of the Web pointed me to. It's from Waste News. Yeah, that's right. I said Waste News. Here's the best part.

The release of the latest Star Wars movie this week is creating excitement among fans of the sci-fi saga, but its also creating concern among some environmental advocates who fear the Dark Side--in other words, waves of discarded plastic action figures, light sabers and other movie-related paraphernalia headed to landfills.

"We love Star Wars as much as anybody, but it doesnt mean we should emulate the destructive power of the Death Star by harming the environment," said Anne Reichman, director of Earth911.org, an environmental action and information Web site. "Most people dont know that these types of figurines cant be recycled, not even little Yoda. In fact, almost all of these toys will sit in landfills until long after were gone."

[Opinion Journal]And to think, some people don't take environmentalists seriously.

Not even little Yoda! Can you imagine?? I say we all boycott Toys R Us! Whadda ya say??

Melodee says:
Just curious. Did it ever occur to you that Darth Vader's breathing sounds like he's whispering the word "uber?" It didn't to me, but I have a co-worker with an imaginative mind. . . Now I have to see the originals and pay careful attention to the Vader breath.

Andrea says:
LOL! That is hilarious! Now, I'm going to be walking around all day saying "UUUUUUUU-BUUUUURRRRRR". This is gonna be a great Friday! :)

3 Comments:

  • At 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Episode III was certainly the best. Anakin, true to form, was whiney and annoying...all lovey and stuff too. But I highly recommend it.

    Creepy about the uber comment. Creepy but true. Yes, you are true.

     
  • At 9:24 PM, Blogger Brian Murnion said…

    Revenge of the Sith is full of Sweetness!! Rock On.

     
  • At 7:35 PM, Blogger Andrea said…

    I'm glad to hear you both liked it. Annie and I were going to attempt to see it this weekend, but I couldn't do the waiting in line thing, I just couldn't.

    Yes, Jen, that lovey junk gets on my nerves. In this case, YOU are true.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home