Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Thursday, May 12, 2005

The Jane Austen Book Club

No, I'm not looking to start one. It's a book I just finished. I knew that when I was 50 pages into it and already horribly disappointed that it would take me awhile to get through it. But, I'm one of those OCD people that has to finish a book if I've started it. Dumb, I know. But, I was going to put that money I wasted to SOME use.

So, on with the book bashing. For starters, the book didn't have anything to do with Jane Austen (which is why I bought it). It has to do with a group of worldly women reading Austen and then attempting to talk about what she MEANT by Edward Ferris being so spineless and Knightly being so oppressive and Darcy being so demeaning......yeah, I'm serious. If that wasn't bad enough, the part where they are actually talking about the books only makes up about 5% of the actual book. The rest is stories of the members of the book club, which I think are supposed to parallel the J.A. book that that chapter is on, but I didn't get that.

So, those of you that I have offerred to let borrow the book - I've changed my mind. I'm not going to subject you to that misery. Besides, it's already posted on Ebay.

Melodee says:
Thanks for the review, Andrea. You've saved me from wasting my time with it. I'm already in a huff over Edward being "spineless," Mr. Knightley being "opressive," and Darcy being "demeaning." I hope you make your money back on Ebay!

Oh, and about your OCD-ness, I used to be like that. Mom printed an article for me last year about leaving books unfinished (I tried to find it online for you, but couldn't). It was really freeing, actually. There is so much good stuff to be read; we don't have to slog through trash!

Update from Andrea:
I did sell it on Ebay and for more then I expected!! But, unfortunately, I turned around and re-spent the money on a DVD. Ahhh, Ebay......

3 Comments:

  • At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Haha- Andrea.
    Actually, I got this book for my birthday(which was last november) from one friend who studies in the States. And I still have this book half-read in my bookshelf. I tried to finish this book, but I can't seem to.

     
  • At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Haha- Andrea.
    Actually, I got this book for my birthday(which was last november) from one friend who studies in the States. And I still have this book half-read in my bookshelf. I tried to finish this book, but I can't seem to.

     
  • At 11:53 AM, Blogger Andrea said…

    So Rie, I'm glad that you find it hard to finish it too. I feel ashamed that they have tacked dear Jane's name onto the title. I'm sure she would not approve.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home