Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Monday, May 16, 2005

Memory Lane

I had a bittersweet weekend. I traveled to Butte to watch four of my best friends graduate from college. I was dreading the trip although I couldn’t really pinpoint why. Probably because it was most likely the last time that I would get together with all four of them until one of us dies or gets married.

It was ok when I graduated and left them two years ago because I was the one that was moving on, not them. I always knew where they were and that I could hop in the car and see all of them in just a couple hours (although I didn’t take advantage of that convenience enough). It was weird going back to the school and walking though the campus and even walking past my old house – all these things that I was so anxious to leave. It was like a secondary “closure” experience that I wasn’t ready for two years ago. A lot of healing had taken place and I could finally look back fondly on my experiences there. It was sad too - with the last of my friends leaving, my connections to the school and the city are all but dissolved. I guess I wasn’t ready for the whole of my college experience to be moved into the “memory” section of my life. As I drove back up Homestake, I finally tearfully pinpointed my fear - I became frightened that my friendships with these guys would become just a “memory” too. I know that happens all the time, but I truly hope that is not the case here – it makes me sad to think about it.

Best of luck to you all, guys! I truly do wish you the best in all your endeavors. I miss all yuz already.

To end on a happy note, I have to mention this: Being the great friend that he is, Matthew helped in making an unforgettable memory. After a great meal of kabobs and some local brew, we decided on an impromptu attempt at the local carnival rides. Spinning around (and around and around) in the Zipper and searching through Matthew’s car for 25 pennies for just ONE more ticket are memories that I can’t help but smile at. Thanks for making the trip a little easier to deal with, Matthew. I’m glad I didn’t lose the kabobs and beer on the Kamikaze. ;)

Melodee says:
Sometimes it is so hard to move on. And yes, it is frightening to think that wonderful friendships may just "fade" into the distance. I hope with you that your relationships with "the guys" will continue for many years. They certainly have been a very special part of your life.

I can just see you and Matthew hunting for those pennies. Oh my. . . :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home