Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Normally...

Normally I would be one to complain about the snow, but today I find it heartening. It has reminded me of the power of Christ. How He can take a hard, dead thing and make it pregnant with life, bearing fruit. What Amazing Grace I see in this snow. I smile at seeing tree's branches heavy laden with water, ready to snap from the sheer weight(joy) of moisture.

So last night I went to Barnes & Noble to purchase a book of poetry. Yeah, I know, Brooke read peotry! Suprising. But not just regular peotry, I couldn't or wouldn't start, as a matter of principle, with something in an elementary fashion. No I must start with John Donne. Supposedly one of the most profound poets ever. Harder to unpack than Shakespeare, or so I've heard. Well anyway I then went to the bargain priced books religion section, cause am always looking for better deals on theology books, and find these titles Who's Who in Egyptian Mythology, Words of Wisdom(picture of the Dahli Lama on cover), and the kickers Irish Pride: 101 reasons to be proud your Irish, and A Feild Guide to Irish Fairies. These DO NOT QUALIFY as religious books. At least they don't in my mind in my mind. I am always shocked at humaities attempt to discard the Truth, alas I see that in myself. But Praise be to God that He is in me and I am in Him. Just findin lessons all over the place. Thanks for yer ear.
Brooke

Amanda says...
Yay, someone besides me posted something! Lol, I look forward to hearing what you think of Donne. Personally, I think you should begin with his short religious poems/sonnets - like "batter my heart..." But some of the "love" ones are very cool, too. And then some are just plain hard...

Irish Fairies, huh? I feel very religious about those. :-D

I like the snow today, too, 'cause it didn't make the roads icy like I thought it would. This morning there was about an inch of slush on the driveway, so I had to walk on tiptoe to the car so as not to soak the hem of my pants and my socks... Anyway, I hadn't connected the snow with God's goodness to us and power, so I'm glad you did it for me!

Andrea says...
I agree about the snow, Brooke. For some reason, seeing it outside my window didn't bug me this morning. The heavy white snow laying my lilac bushes on the ground and allowing a few green leaves to peak through was such an uncommon site, that I tried to treasure it. I tried not to think about how slippery the roads to work may be or whether or not my lilac buds will survive. I tried to just be thankful for the moisture and the reminder of God's presence and power. Thank you for the great analogy!!

Melodee says:
I just posted some pictures of our spring storm on TRP. Enjoy!
Brooke, I agree with Amanda about starting with the Holy Sonnets. But then you have to read A Valediction: Forbidding Mourning, which is my favorite Donne poem (that's the one I wrote the paper on. . . it was the most fun I've ever had writing a paper!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home