Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Thursday, April 14, 2005

A Couple Things...

I talked to Sarah on Tuesday night! Sounds like she's doing well and enjoying her kids at school...and hopefully she'll post some things about it. :)

This morning at work, David was talking about putting off the old self and putting on the new. I've heard that a lot, of course. But this time it really struck home, for several reasons. One, David talked about thinking how God treats us, as his children - he doesn't get angry at us, but we're quick to forget that when dealing with each other! He also mentioned that it's not just a putting off - you leave a void when you stop doing something, that makes it easy for sin to come rushing back. Changing needs prayer, imitating Christ, etc. I think that's partly why my "I hate this sin and I want to stop!" never goes much past wishing I could beat it...

I guess the point of this is, I tend not to remember that in the fight against sin, I have Christ's righteousness, and instead of having to just get rid of a habit (a negative), what I really need is to imitate Christ (a positive). For some reason, it just seems less impossible that way - not because I think I can be perfect (we all know I can't be!!!), but because I know Christ died for me and promises that he does not leave us as orphans. Thinking in those terms changes everything, and I'm posting about it so hopefully it'll stick in my brain a little bit better!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home