Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Saturday, April 09, 2005

The Incredibles

Last night I went over to Melodee's to watch How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days and The Incredibles. I'd seen HtLaG last summer and remember enjoying it, but the experience must have been enhanced by the fact that I had malaria. It did have its funny moments, but there was also sort of an overall lameness, not to mention being rather vulgar in places... It just seemed divorced from real life.

The Incredibles was completely different. I didn't expect a cartoon to be SO realistic! :) I don't mean just the animation, either, although that was pretty, um, incredible. The story was just so much like real life that it was completely believable! Not a line out of place in the script, either, which was a problem that HtLaG had. Movies where everything a character says just fits, that never make you want to roll your eyes, are sort of rare.

And of course, there were some pretty great lines. :)

Probably my favorite:
"Mom and Dad's lives could be in jeopardy! Or even worse, their marriage!"

Melodee says:
Jinx! I just posted about The Incredibles on my blog this very minute. You're so right, the contrast between How To Lose a Guy In Ten Days and The Incredibles was stark. HTLaG's humor was mostly vulgar, and its serious parts fell terribly flat. The Parr family, however, was really funny, and also beautifully poignant. I almost teared up at the part where Mr. Incredible says he isn't strong enough to handle losing his wife... All in all, it was a home run!

Oh, and Rachel, I loved that line too. Not to mention the whole scene arguing about what exit to get off on. I laughed so hard I had to pause the movie. That was so realistic!

amanda says...
It's our great minds. ;-)

1 Comments:

  • At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    my favorite line is the little kid on the bike: "that was TOTALLY wicked!"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home