Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Sunday, April 10, 2005

Baseball on my mind...

I was looking at the news headlines for today and was a little confused by this headline: "Cardinals maintain silence before conclave." Forgetting that Roman Catholic cardinals were meeting to decide on the next pope, I assumed this referred to the St. Louis baseball team. And frankly, the line didn't make much sense at all; but I put it down to my being a relative newcomer still to baseball jargon.

Go TWINS!

Melodee says:
Go TWINS is right! Tonight's game is over, and dearest Mr. Santana is now 2-0 on the season! :) Oh, and did I mention he struck out 11 batters tonight?

On a more sombre note - we just lost our #3 starter (Carlos Silva) for at least half the season (maybe the whole season) due to a knee injury. And our first baseman was hit in the head with a pitch last week and is having recurring headaches and dizziness. These dark clouds can't keep Johan down, but they may not bode well for our world championship bid. . .

Anna says:
I would love to see a Twins game, even on tv, so that I can join you two in being such faithful fans!

Amanda...I fear baseball may be taking over too much of your mind if the word "cardinals" automatically conjures up thoughts of the baseball team. But, it's all good, and I'm glad you two enjoy it so much! ;-)

Melodee says:
Now Anna, did you really mean that? Next time the Twinkies are playing on TV I'll be sure and have you over! :)

Anna says:
Yes Melodee, I really mean that!

Did you mean to call them the Twinkies...? Maybe this is one of those things I just don't understand about them yet?

Melodee says:
Most teams have a nickname (You may hear local announcers calling the Mustangs "The Ponies," for instance.) One of the Twins' nicknames is "The Twinkies." It fits their personality. :) They have hardly any power (home runs), but they are little scrappers and fight it out base by base.

amanda says...
You guys are getting me all excited about baseball now! Hey, we could have a "Kindred Spirits Twins Night." I don't know what Andrea and Brooke would come for, but I'm sure we'd all have fun! It would have to be your house, though, Melodee - none of us get Twins games (until they're in the WS, of course).

Anna says:
Thanks for filling me in on the nickname stuff. A Twins night would be fun.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home