Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Thursday, April 07, 2005

Calvin on Writing

"I used to hate writing assignments, but now I enjoy them. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" -Calvin

(I wonder what his namesake John Calvin would think?! :) )

I got this quote here.

Melodee says:
This reminds me of several quotes:

"Those who write clearly have readers. Those who write obscurely have commentators." - Doug Wilson

"Some 'scholars' cough in ink." - Doug Wilson

"I cannot speak well enough to be unintelligible." - Catherine Morland in Northanger Abbey. (Henry Tilney responds, "Bravo! An excellent satire on modern language."

"A skillful writer cuts the fat and thickens the gravy." - The Roar on the Other Side.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home