Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Autumn Salad Recipe

Brooke and I had this salad two dinners in a row - it was really pretty good. (This from someone who doesn't much care for lettuce!)

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup - 1 cup hazelenuts (I bought already-chopped ones on sale)
  • 3-4 Satsuma or any other tangerines
  • 6 Medjool dates
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice, or about 1/2 a fresh-squeezed lemon
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • butter lettuce or any other type
  • radicchio ($5 a head...I had no idea Albertsons had any produce that expensive!)


  • Spread the hazelnuts on a baking sheeet and toast them in the oven for about 10 minutes on 350 until they're golden and some of the skins are coming off. Rub the loose skins off.

    Grate 1/2 teaspoon of tangerine peel, if so desired. (I didn't.) And this to the juice of one of the tangerines, and then add the olive oil and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste, too.

    Mix lettuce and radicchio and top with sections (cut in half) of the rest of the tangerines, plus the dates, pitted and cut in pieces the long way. Put hazelnuts on top and then spoon the dressing generously over the whole thing.

    Or, if you want to make it really fancy, arrange a bunch of radicchio on each person's plate and then layer the rest on top.

    ***
    After lookin up "radicchio" on the internet - uh, whatever I paid $5 for apparently wasn't radicchio. (Annie, you were right.) It had small leaves in a loose head, not tight like cabbage or radicchio apparently is. The leaves were light purple with a darker purple/green in the middle. Does anyone know what I've been eating?!

    You can read the original from Sunset Foods if you want a recipe and no comments!

    1 Comments:

    • At 4:07 PM, Blogger Anna Murnion said…

      That salad was so good! Thanks for posting the recipe.

      I'm glad to know I was right about the greens and purples that we were eating. ;-)

       

    Post a Comment

    << Home