Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Book Meme

Melodee tagged Brooke and me for this a while ago. Here goes my answers...

One book that changed my life:
Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink. This book might have had the most influence on my childhood. And I named my first cat, when I was five, after Caddie. (She was a stray and bit a lot.)

One book I've read more than once:
These Happy Golden Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I still have a crush on Almonzo and I've been reading it for 15 years. ;) (But this is a tricky question, because I've probably reread 80% of my favorite books.)

One book I'd want on a desert island:
It's cheating, but here's two: I'd want either Gaudy Night by Dorothy L. Sayers or else War & Rememberance by Herman Wouk. Both are long, and both have characters and a story that I love.

One book that made me laugh:
Picadilly Jim by P.G. Wodehouse

One book that made me cry:
Gone with the Wind, the second time around. I got to the part where Bonnie dies and Scarlett is about to miscarry, and saw very clearly my own need for a real, redeeming grace in Scarlett's - and hated that there was none for her.

One book I wish had been written:
Another book by Dickens as good as Our Mutual Friend.

One book I wish had never been written:
Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf. Maybe it was just one stream-of-consciousness too many that semester, but I only read about 20 pages of this book (and I skipped class when we were supposed to discuss it).

One book that I am currently reading:
Stalking the Wild Dik-Dik: One Woman's Solo Misadventures Across Africa by Marie Javins.

One book I've been meaning to read:
Mansfield Park, by Jane Austen

4 Comments:

  • At 9:42 PM, Blogger Melodee said…

    Thank you! I was hoping you would get around to it eventually. You had very interesting picks!

    I've had a crush on Almanzo for *16* years. Must be the extra year that taught me to spell his name right...(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

    Mrs. Dalloway wasn't that bad, actually. We read it after Ulysses, so by comparison it was a semi-enjoyable breeze. Not that I would reread it or anything!

     
  • At 10:31 AM, Blogger Amanda said…

    oh dear...and now you caught me, so I can't change my post to spell it right. :) Farmer Boy is high on my list of next books to (re)read, so maybe I'll be spelling Almanzo's name right after that...

    (mmm...I can already taste the taffy and pie and doughnuts.)

    You told me that about Mrs D after you read it, but I still don't think I'm missing anything by hating it. :)

     
  • At 7:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Was the Bible off limits as an answer?

     
  • At 8:13 AM, Blogger Melodee said…

    Anonymous - no, it isn't off limits, but it's a given that it has first place. :) It isn't just any old "book," that's for sure!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home