Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Pluralism

We get National Geographic at work, as well as home...definitely one of my favorite magazines. The December issue has a good story on the crisis in Northern Uganda, which doesn't seem to be getting any better (but maybe that's because I'm only becoming more aware of it). There was also an interesting story on how Buddhism is becoming hugely popular and influential in the western world. I don't know much about Buddhism, so I was really struck by the first three of Buddha's "Four Noble Truths:"
1. There is suffering in the world, whether mental or physical.

2. Suffering occurs because of too great an attachment to one's desires.

3. By eliminating the cause - attachment - you can eliminate suffering.

That's probably not the greatest summation of Buddhism, but as it is, it seems really heartless. That sounds like telling a starving child in Uganda that he's suffering because of his own selfish desires; he isn't quite able to expand his mind and get outside of himself?! It just seems so bizarre that that would be a direct doctrinal statement, although I'm sure they try to reconcile it to real life. Real physical suffering, that isn't a figment of the imagination.

On the same page is a picture of caucasion monks in wide-brimmed hats, asking for vegetarian food donations. (Someone is handing out potato chips.) That's the problem I have with all acetism; not that meditation and self-discipline aren't good, but that it just seems like a selfish withdrawal from the world and for you own spiritual "good." Of course, I'm just the same way sometimes, in practice if not in theory...

Changing the subject, we didn't get a Christmas tree last weekend (it wasn't cold enough!), but we will this week. Now there's a few inches of snow on the ground, so I'm excited about it. And I'm ready to start watching Christmas movies. Anyone got some good recommendations? White Christmas and Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (sad, I know) are two of my favorites.

Melodee says:
Yeah, Buddhism has never seemed particularly compassionate to me. Ultimately, suffering is the result of the fall, but we're all in the same boat as far as that goes so we all need the same remedy - a Savior. What is more comforting - deal with your suffering by becoming "detached" or rely on the One who experienced the depths of suffering to save you?

This reminds me of the thing I thought was really interesting about Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: When the main character is dying the woman he loves is urging him to remove his mind from all attachments, and he refuses. He recognizes that Buddhism has no place for human love and emotion, so he turns away from its teachings at the last moment and expresses his love for her in his dying breath. (I haven't seen the movie in years, but that's the way I remember it anyway!) It makes me thankful that I serve the God who deals richly in love - He loves us, and gives us love not only for Him but also for other people.

As for Christmas movies - I like to watch Little Women, While You Were Sleeping, and It's a Wonderful Life.

9 Comments:

  • At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Amanda,

    If you are looking for just feel-good, sappy Christmas movies, check out Lifetime on Cable. Yesterday's movie was "Ebbie" (the female version of Ebenezer Scrooge). It got me into the Christmas spirit right away. :) For the whole month of December, there is a Christmas movie everyday. I say, the sappier, the better!
    -Marlene (Andrea's friend who likes your blog and will only admit on this blog that I watch Lifetime.)

     
  • At 6:32 PM, Blogger Brooke said…

    The Polar Express. :) ALL Train movies are GREAT. No really this one is worth watching.

     
  • At 7:19 PM, Blogger Hannah said…

    You will laugh, but seriously? Muppets' Christmas Carol. It's funny and poignant at the same time.

    Also, the creme de la creme of christmas movies: A Christmas Story. Our tradition is to watch it on Thanksgiving night. :)

     
  • At 9:37 AM, Blogger Brooke said…

    Elf.

     
  • At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ditto to all the Christmas movies mentioned...but I would add The Preacher's Wife, and The Grinch cartoon.

     
  • At 5:09 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    Thanks for the recommendations - I haven't seen any of those except the old Grinch cartoon, which is always good. I think i'm going to Hastings tonight to pick one out...

    And of course, While You Were Sleeping and Little Women are year-round favorites, too.

    Marlene, did I met you one time at Alive After 5 with Andrea? I was at the one by the Carlin. Anyway, hi! :)

     
  • At 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A Miracle on 34th Street? (is it?)

     
  • At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes, Amanda. I was the one drinking Cosmopolitans on an empty stomach. I am sure I made an awesome impression! :) I bet the Lifetime comment makes more sense when you have met me. hee hee And, by the way, Lifetime sappy movies do go better with a little Christmas Cheer!

     
  • At 11:01 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    hey, I had fun hanging out with you at Alive After 5. :) If I had Lifetime I'd probably take your advice. But it looks like CBS or one of those stations has lots of Christmas specials coming out too...

    A Christmas Story is first on my list now.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home