Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Music

I was just noticing yesterday what a difference music can make in a work day. I put on headphones to drown out the printer on the other side of my cubicle wall, made a new playlist, and the day just sped by. (It didn't work so well today, though, because it was all a repeat.) The highlights were U2, Wilco, Nickel Creek, and Alison Krauss and Union Station.

All these bands really just say a lot, I realized. My favorite song quote is Death Cab for Cutie ("A Lack of Color"):
And when I see you, I really see you upside down
But my brain knows better, it picks you up and turns you around

I always forget how our eyes work!

But then there's also U2, who are always quotable. Party because Bono can make even the most silly lyrics (e.g., "The air is heavy, heavy as a truck. We need the rain to wash away our bad luck") just sound good. The line most stuck in my head, though is from "Ultraviolet" on Achtung Baby.
You bury your treasure where it can't be found
But your love is a secret that's been passed around.
There is a silence that comes to a house
Where no-one can sleep.
I guess it's the price of love; I know it's not cheap.

I remember when we could sleep on stones.
Now we lie together in whispers and moans.
When I was all messed up and I heard opera in my head
Your love was a light bulb hanging over my bed.

What music makes your day "go better"?

2 Comments:

  • At 9:22 AM, Blogger Rachel Schaner said…

    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban soundtrack!! ;)

     
  • At 8:00 AM, Blogger Andrea said…

    Depends on the day and the stress level. Some days it's a straight Caedmon's Call and some of the more frustrating ones, I have to pull out the screaming metal. I used to listen to a lot of acoustic at work, but found that it was either too distracting or too relaxing. Go figure.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home