Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Physics

Hey gals! While one of my math geek friends was looking for an English explanation of a math concept on the internet he ran into this. It is a math text book (you will need a cable modem to view) witten by Sean Mauch, a Montanan who now teaches at Caltech. The best part however is that he has a sense of humor. In the appedices he has quite a few geeky math jokes. Here is one.

In order to reduce processing costs, a chicken farmer wished to aquire a plucking machine. Since there was no such machine on the market, he hired a mechanical engineer to design one. After extensive research and testing, the professor concluded that it was impossible to build such a machine with current technology. The farmer was disappointed, but not wanting to abandon his dream of an automatic plucker, he consulted a physicist. After a single afternoon of work, the physycist reported that not only could a plucking machine be built, but that the design was simple. The elated farmer asked him to describe his method. The physicist replied, "First, assume a spherical chicken...".

It gets better!

The problems in this text book will implicitly make certain simplifying assumptions about chickens. For example, a problem might assume a perfectly elastic, frictionless, spherical ckicken. In two dimentional problems, we will assume that chickens are circular.

I wish my math test books had jokes in them.

Buy the way our movie theaters are never going to show P&P3. I think however I would rather go see Jarhead or Chicken Little or Just Friends or Saw 2 or Get Rich or Die Trying or Prime. Uh-huh. The Republic of Pemberley has had 1200 comments posted on P&P3 in the last two days. Whew.

Melodee says:
Great math jokes, Brooke! Next time we have dinner I'll cook a spherical chicken.

As for P&P. . . I called the movie theater today, and this is my conversation:

Me: "Hi, I've been checking on the website and I see that Pride and Prejudice still isn't here. Do you know when it will be coming?"
Guy: "Uh, that movie is out but it's only in select theaters."
Me: "Yes, but it already went to wide release."
Guy: "oh, yeah, I guess it was supposed to come on the 25th, but Billings didn't get it."
Me "Do you have any idea when we might get it?"
Guy: "uh...no."

hmmm...wasn't that helpful?! I wanted to ask "Why does BOZEMAN have it, for crying out loud, but we don't? We're BIGGER than Bozeman!" But I restrained myself. :)

4 Comments:

  • At 6:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know a math joke involving chickens, too, though I don't remember it completely. Let me try:

    A farmer wants to build a fence for his chickens. He asks an engineer, a mathematician and some third scientists whose expertise I forgot to help him fence in the largest area possible. The engineer says: A circular area will provide the largest area for the materials used. The third scientist says: A fence along the equator will fence off half the world. The mathematician builds a small circle of fence, stands inside it and says: I define myself to be outside of the fence.

    I guess it didn't really have to involve chickens.

     
  • At 12:39 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    wow, I didn't know math could be so fun...

     
  • At 7:05 AM, Blogger Andrea said…

    Didn't know math could be so fun??? Amanda! Shame on you! Of COURSE math is fun. Are ya with me Brooke??

    Great math jokes everyone!

     
  • At 4:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think calling the jokes great is going a little too far. That fact that they exist is the funniest part in my opinion.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home