Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Science & Snakes

I know, not some people's favorite subject! But I'm writing about them at work for a newsletter, so I have lots of tidbits.

Snakes have a lot of backbone, literally. Depending on the species, a snake has between 180 and 400 vertebrae and almost as many ribs. To put that in perspective, we have around 30 vertebrae.

Andrea, about 4/5 of the world's snakes aren't poisionous. What a relief.

There's one known species of snake (the Brahminy blind snale) that can reproduce "parthogenetically," without fertilization by the male. All the snakes that hatch this way are females with identical genetic code to their mother.

Ok, there's lots of fascinating things about snake senses, but I don't want to torture anyone...

5 Comments:

  • At 11:49 AM, Blogger Anna Murnion said…

    that's a little freaky. these snakes could be building themselves an army, "parthogenetically"...

     
  • At 8:23 AM, Blogger Melodee said…

    I guess all those vertebrae is what allows them to ...ssssslither....

     
  • At 11:35 AM, Blogger Brooke said…

    That is 20 snakes out of 100. Relief?

     
  • At 3:42 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    Yeah, that's kinda scary...I don't think a seven-nation army could hold them back! I hope they have lots of predators.

    Well, I was just trying to state it positively. But if you consider that most species don't live in MT (in fact, I've never even seen a rattlesnake here), your odds a lot lower...

     
  • At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    raddel snakes do live here in billings. i and my sisters(Laura and Lisa) have seen 1 in the rims so i know there are snaks in billings.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home