Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Friday, September 02, 2005

Katrina

First of all, I think this whole naming hurricanes with people's names system sucks. Who is going to want to name their kid Katrina now?

I found this New Orleans guy's livejournal page (he's working in law enforcement, I think)...there's quite a few pictures and stories of conditions there. Of course you can get that on the news, but it's sort of a different perspective from someone who's in the middle of things.

Andrea adds input...
This site of New Orleans Metroblogging is also interesting and from an insiders perspective. I am just so blown away by all of this. My heart goes out to all the victims of this disaster. Having just visited the city this year, I feel bizarrely close to it. I think of all the wonderful people that my sister and I met while we were there and I just feel sick. I wonder how they are. I wonder if they are safe. It breaks my heart to see such a culturally rich city devastated like this. Although it's not the most wholesome town in the world (what town IS wholesome anyway?), it is truly one-of-a-kind and it is heartbreaking to see any of that culture disappear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home