Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

All Hail Google!!

Ok, this is THE COOLEST THING ever. It is a new Google tool I have discovered called Google Earth. Download it. Trust me. It's the coolest thing I have seen Google come out with yet. It is a map of the entire world. You think Google Maps is cool? You have to try out this Earth tool. You can pick where in the world you want to zoom into and it will give you a satellite picture and overlay it with building layouts, street names, terrain names, points of interests, the best Chinese restaurant in town, whatever you want!! You can adjust your point of view not only from north, south, east, west, but also vertically so that you can look at a mountain from above or directly on. You can even get directions like the other lame map tools on the web. Ok, I'm kind of a nerd that gets really excited about maps, but even the non-nerdy people have to find this cool. The world just got a whole lot smaller. I just took a trip from Crazy Peak to Vatican City. Soooooo cool.

Amanda adds her approval...
Google rocks! I downloaded Google Earth a few weeks ago, and was unimpressed because it couldn't find the Nile. But since you reminded me of it, I had fun getting a bird's eye view of Trafalgar Square. It was just a little too fuzzy to see the church I ate lunch in (Cafe-in-the-Crypt - it was boss!), but I guess you can't expect too much. I mean, being able to zoom all over the streets of London is plenty cool enough as it is, huh? ;-) I think I'll visit NYC next...always wanted to go there!

While we're mentioning how good Google is: the other day someone at work needed to look up West High's phone number, and was looking it up in the phone book in my office. But it was hard to find, so I figured it was probably faster to Google it. Which it was - I found West's website and phone number in about 10 seconds. Waaay easier than the Yellow Pages!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home