Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Friday, August 12, 2005

You Can't Go to Scotland!

Melodee, I was just searching for "sheep pluck" and came across recipes for haggis...now I'm feeling a little ill.

But really you should go to Aberdeen, and I'll come visit you. ;-) Just give me plain oatmeal!

3 Comments:

  • At 2:09 PM, Blogger Andrea said…

    When my mom, sister and I were in Scotland, we tried haggis (just to say that we did). It strangely tasted a little like cocoa. I think the biggest mistake that the restaurant made was to put the actual ingredients on the menu. Eww.

     
  • At 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is from my Western Civ lecture notes:

    “The Scots are one of two cultures most dispersed throughout the world, yet they preserved their culture. They preserved their culture through character. When times were tough, they wasted no part of the sheep, hence, the dish called haggis. Haggis became the national dish of Scotland, and stayed that way even when times were prosperous and they did not eat it anymore. The Scots had the character to keep the Haggis for the difficult times, and they had the character to keep it for the successful times. Their national character maintained the survival of their culture. The Scots are to be admired for their national character.”

     
  • At 7:18 AM, Blogger Amanda said…

    Well, I guess I can admire the Scots for eating haggis! I just don't want any myself. ;-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home