Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

As we ate lunch a few minutes ago, Melodee very wisely suggested that I post something on here today, so that Andrea doesn't kill me the next time she sees me. I'm taking her advice.

So, I have a question for you all...

When you read articles on the internet, do you prefer for links that you click on to open in a new browser, or the same one? (Means you have to click back to finish reading...but, also means less windows.) What about if you are shopping online? (If I click on something that takes me to a new page in the same window, I usually get so sidetracked that I forget to click the back button...) I am working on articles and product pages on our website this week and I haven't decided which is best to use. I appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Ignoring that fact that this was incredibly boring, and not very kindred spirity at all, I hope you will appreciate that I actually *gasp* posted something, Andrea. ;-)

Melodee says:
I prefer links to open a new window.

Andrea says:
REALLY, Anna, you're being a little melodramatic, aren't you?? You think I would resort to "killing" you??? Hmm....(I'm shaking my head in disapproval) *wink*

As for the link opening issue, I have mixed feelings. It all depends on what kind of link it is. For example, if it is a link to a product, I say open it up in a new window, but if it is a link to the next page of a list of products, I say open it in the same window. Link to your shopping cart - new window. Link to checkout - same window. It's a tough decision. Try googling it. There has to be a list of "link standards" out there somewhere. (Wow, I can actually FEEL the geekiness dripping off my fingers on to the keyboard) And by the way, Anna, that is a VERY good question. It isn't a boring thing to blog about at all!

Anna says...
No, Melodee said you would kill me. I was only quoting her. Thanks for the ideas, and unfortunately, I fear that you were the only one who felt like it wasn't boring. I could just SEE the geekiness dripping off your fingers. It's great!

1 Comments:

  • At 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like the way Amazon does it. Same window goes to all clicks, but wherever I go, I always have a "recently viewed products" sidebar so I can remember what I was doing in the first place. And I love their "recommended items," and "people who bought this also bought this."

    New question:

    I wonder why on this blog and Radley Porch, that whenever I want to see comments, I have to hold down my control key (to block "popups").

    I don't have that problem on any other blog or website (even when clicking on their comments).

    AmyLav

     

Post a Comment

<< Home