Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Wednesday Science: Bioluminescence

Man, I love my job. :) This morning I got to experiment with ostracods, dried ocean crustaceans from the Sea of Japan. When mixed with water and crushed, they glow blue. That's because they release a protein, luciferin, that can react with oxygen in the water, and an enzyme, luciferase, which works as a catalyst to kick off the luciferin's reaction. The resulting energy is released as glowing blue light. Completely cool, literally - the energy is almost all light, rather than light and heat like incandescent light.

About 90% of deep-sea creatures use bioluminescence for things like finding food, attracting a mate, and protection from predators.

Check out these images of bioluminescent ocean life!

2 Comments:

  • At 12:28 PM, Blogger Anna Murnion said…

    Hey, good science facts! Maybe this can make up for my lack of picture posting...? I keep forgetting when Tuesday is coming up, and then I totally miss it. Whoops. Sorry guys.

     
  • At 8:58 AM, Blogger Melodee said…

    Well you know...Tuesday's picture doesn't have to come on Tuesday. We're not getting any links today, so maybe you could fill the void!

    Thanks for the bioluminescent treat, Amanda!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home