Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Monday, October 10, 2005

Monday's Quote

This cracked me up:

How beautiful to die of broken-heart on paper! Quite another thing in practice. (Thomas Carlyle, Sartor Resartus)

And now for George Eliot's impression of the kind of people who write novels where people die of broken-heart:
It is clear that they write in elegant boudoirs, with violet-colored ink and a ruby pen; that they must be entirely indifferent to publishers' accounts, and inexperienced in every form of poverty except poverty of the brains. (Eliot, "Silly Novels by Lady Novelists")

1 Comments:

  • At 9:31 AM, Blogger Amanda said…

    All these broken hearts remind me of this line in Henry V:

    "I speak to thee plain
    soldier. If thou canst love me for this, take me; if not, to say
    to thee that I shall die, is true; but for thy love, by the Lord,
    no; yet I love thee too."

    Now, where did I put my ruby pen? ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home