Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

There's no place like home

Lately, I’ve notice a kind of “listing” trend on blogs that I read, so I thought I would follow suit. I went home for Memorial weekend. (Side note: Even though I really do consider Billings my home, I still refer to my parents' house as “home”. Why is that? Are we allowed to call two places home?) I was looking forward to the weekend so much….and it didn’t fail to deliver. So, here are a few things that I love about my Big Timber home:

  • Sitting in a lawn chair wrapped in an old quilt and listening to the choir of meadowlarks and other miscellaneous birds at 5:30 AM….and then going back to bed.

  • My mom’s cooking. I’m STILL stuffed.

  • Late night sessions of flossing teeth, plucking eyebrows and washing faces with my sister while everyone else is in bed. That sounds a little weird, but it has become one of my favorite traditions when we are both home. Why is it that we have our best conversations in the bathroom with hushed tones?

  • Two words: Prospector Pizza

  • Iced Tea. I’m not sure why I never drink it at my house.

  • Being able to look out the window and see for miles in every direction.

  • Letting my puppy run free and chase rabbits and tennis balls without worrying about him. It’s ridiculous how happy just running around makes him.

  • Four wheeling (although the weather was a little too crummy to do it this weekend)

  • Congregating in the kitchen not because we’re hungry but because eating is just SO FUN!

  • Karaoke (yeah, we’re total nerds)

  • Parents, Grandparents, Siblings, Neighbors, Old Friends. That is really general, but all these people make me laugh a lot.

Melodee says:

What a lovely post, thank you! I love pondering the "little things" in life that are so wonderful. Thanks for sharing yours.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Of course two places can be home! My home is still Cavalier, North Dakota, even though there is no longer a house to stay in there!

     
  • At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Raaaa...And I love popping my zits with YOU too!

    Signed,
    Anonymous

     

Post a Comment

<< Home