Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Friday, June 30, 2006

Cooking and Pictures

I just found an old interview with Amanda Hesser. I didn't read the whole thing, because some of it's a little boring, but there were parts near the beginning and near the end about Cooking for Mr. Latte. She is one of our cooking inspirations, of course, but did you know she can inspire our culinary photography too?

Talking about writing the columns that eventually became the book:

AH: Because it was so personal it ended up being a really fun project because they wanted me to be involved in all aspects. On the second page there was always a photograph of the food.

RB: So you styled the photo?

AH: We did this at my house. They were my plates, I cooked it. We had this team of photographers…

RB: Who ate it?

AH: We all did. After the shot we all dug in. (laughs)

RB: So you became popular with the photo staff.

AH: Exactly.


Kind of a fun detail, I thought. Too bad they don't have the pictures in the book!

2 Comments:

  • At 2:20 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    I'd like to see her dishes (and what's on them), too!

     
  • At 2:22 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    Look, you can read AH's articles online: http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/h/amanda_hesser/index.html !

    I'm going to subscribe...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home