Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

What color are you?

At work, some of us have attended this Team Transformational training. It is a four-hour seminar on becoming more effective communicators with each other. Fluff fluff fluff. A particularly interesting part of the training was a test that we all took that determined our personality. There were four major categories that were each assigned to a color. Yellow personalities are efficient, organized and practical. Blue’s are tolerant, nurturing and compassionate. Green’s are analytical, logical and determined. Red’s are adventurous, non-conforming and spontaneous. It actually was a fun exercise because we all learned more about each other’s personalities and communication abilities. The thing that struck me as funny was that although the exercise was supposed to be “neat and tidy” and fit us all in a “box”, it didn’t work that well. Everyone’s score came up differently. Some people had a dominant color, some came up half blue and half yellow and some had traits of all four colors! I was struck at the uniqueness of every single person’s results. It makes me laugh to think of the people that think that they can put us all in certain evolved boxes and we will fit perfectly. I have a coworker that has an aging dad in the hospital that just had a valve replaced in his heart. It seems as though everything that can go wrong has and the doctors are just stumped as to why he is not getting better. This makes me think of not only our different personalities, but also our different physiologies. It’s scary and somewhat amusing how much these “experts” DON’T know about the human body and what makes it tick. Wait...shouldn’t evolution be taking care of all this for us? Shouldn’t natural selection, by now, have formed us into little robots with all the same features and personalities? It makes me think of a line in a great movie I saw yesterday, Mostly Martha. An aunt, who is a chef by profession, is suddenly responsible for raising her orphaned little niece and after a frustrating argument tells the little girl, “I wish there was a recipe for you.” The fact is there IS a recipe for us. It’s a unique recipe for every single one of us and only our Heavenly Father knows it. And He doesn’t have to write it down to remember it.

Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.
Matthew 10:28-30

Melodee says:

Thanks for your thoughts on this, Andrea. I am in awe of our creative Creator, who not only made us each different, but truly knows each of us better than we even know ourselves. Most of the time I don't understand myself (let alone anyone else) and it is comforting to know that He understands me... And sometimes a little bit scary - I'm thankful for His mercy!

4 Comments:

  • At 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank the Lord for all the diversity. There are many days I cannot stand myself. I cannot imagine hundreds of me running around with the same sin issues, the same quirks, and the same fears. Nothing in this world would get done and no growth or change would ever occur again. Would God have created Eve to be so different from Adam in many ways had he wanted us all to be grouped into neat little categories and labels? Christ celebrates our differences. Look at His choice for the disciples. Each had different strengths and different weaknesses. Yet, these were the men He chose to go out and teach the Nations about the wonderful grace of God.
    So celebrate the differences of those around you today. Be aware of the beautiful pattern created by all our unique shapes fitting together.

     
  • At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is not the point of your post, Andrea, but what color(s) were you?

     
  • At 4:19 PM, Blogger Andrea said…

    Sue, thanks for the thoughtful words. I too was struck by God's amazing "organization of diversity".

    Susan, you're too funny. :) I am predominantly yellow (a.k.a. BORING) ;) I am efficient, respectful, orderly, dependable, practical and stable. My strengths are organization, effectiveness, commitment, consistency, efficiency and loyalty. How's THAT for a label? Quite impressive, I'd say! *wink*

     
  • At 11:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No wonder we click! I think I would be yellow, too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home