Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Monday, June 27, 2005

Mansfield Park thread

I just finished Mansfield Park and I'm anxious to discuss it with my fellow Kindred Spirits. I never have time to actually TALK to you guys, so maybe we can do it here. Not that we have any time to post here either, but it's worth a go.

I've heard a rumor that SOME of you do not like Fanny Price or Edmund Bertram. Is that correct?? I actually heard Amanda say that she wanted Fanny to marry Henry. What's up with that? That's sick and wrong.

Personally, Fanny is not my favorite Austen heroine, but that's only because she's TOO perfect. Her patience and perseverence is sickeningly admirable. But, she still rocks. Edmund isn't my favorite either, and he is total sap (although he wouldn't admit it), but he still was 'supposed to' end up with Fanny.

What do ya think?

Amanda says...
Well, having never read the book (as you can tell by my profile!), I'm basing any suppositions on the older movie version. And in it, Henry is not totally a slimeball, although I suppose I can't really see him and Fanny being right for each other. I just don't want her to end up with Edmund! I think she'd have more fun with Henry (if he didn't end up being a complete jerk), and then I'd just like her better. Does that make any sense? :-P

Andrea protests...
Well, I'll admit that Henry IS more exciting and romantic, but that doesn't mask the fact that he is a TOTAL slimeball. One criticism I have would be that Fanny and Edmund's romance could've been more developed. It was like one minute Edmund was heartbroken and then all of a sudden he and Fanny were together. But I guess that's not what their relationship was about. It was more of a developed friendship.

Melodee says:
I have long known that I must reread Mansfield Park. I didn't like it when I read it before, but I was very young, so I don't know how intelligently I read it! But I never wanted Fanny to marry Henry. ick. And as for having fun, Amanda. . . Fanny doesn't like fun, does she? (ooh, that's mean.) Edmund drives me nuts. A popular saying at Pemberley is "E.N.A.S.U.T.H" which stands for "Edmund needs a slap upside the head." I wholeheartedly agree. What a bum. Anyway, I'm ready to give the book another chance. According to my "to-read" list, I'm reading it in August :)

BTW, Amanda, help me out here. Why is that I get so very irritated when Edmund goes after Mary Crawford, but not nearly so irritated when Roger goes after Cynthia? Are the two situations really analogous? (I hope not, because I adore Roger, as you know!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home