Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Monday, June 27, 2005

Cinderella Man thread

Since I did a Mansfield Park one, I had to start a Cinderella Man one too. I'm anxiously awaiting Melodee's eloquent and comprehensive critique on TRP, but until then, let's discuss it here.

Here's what I've got to say: BEST MOVIE EVER!!!

What do you think??

Check out Christian's post (of See Life Differently) on it.

Amanda says...
I thought it was a really great movie, without ever falling into that cheesy, "feel good" kind of category. The main character was pretty much completely admirable in everything he did, without being at ALL goody-two-shoes - he worked hard, struggled with many things, and basically was just like any other guy who lost it all during the Great Depression. It's just that he did the right thing even when it was really tough and you expected him not to...

Melodee says:
What's this about "an eloquent and comprehensive critique on TRP?" Aren't you expecting rather a lot? Something is hopefully forthcoming on the porch, but not that (after all, I've only seen the movie once and can't even remember my favorite line! But I knew as soon as I heard it that it was my favorite! :).

3 Comments:

  • At 11:34 AM, Blogger Anna Murnion said…

    Look, look!! I'm commenting! I haven't even seen this movie yet, and I still have a strong feeling that it is going to be one of the best. So, in short, I think I agree with you. I'll let you know once I see it though!

     
  • At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I subscribe to this Heartwarmers weekly email. There was a wonderful posting this week by someone who saw the movie. It's worth the time to read and reflect on how blessed we are to live at this time and in this country.

    Heartwarmers

    I hope you enjoy her thoughts as well.

     
  • At 1:51 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    Thanks for sharing that article, Sue! I'd never thought about the Great Depression in that light before.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home