Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

JKC banquet

I've been posting on TRP about my time in DC for the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Scholars weekend, but I had to double post here about the banquet at the Russian Embassy. It was delicious. Here's the menu; click to read:


Brooke always says she hates figs, but the figs in my salad were so good. Are you sure you've had good fresh figs before, Brooke?


I wish I could have taken pictures of every course, but that's a little tacky, don't you think? (I managed to get the salad since no one had sat down at our table yet.) The steak was incredible...it was so tender you could cut it with a fork (what a cliche, but true!) and the molasses and balsamic glaze gave it an amazing flavor. My other favorite part was silver queen corn souffle timbale. Sounds weird, I know, but it was delicious. Light, hot, sweet, and not a bad texture at all. I'll try to find a recipe some day!

The wine was decent, if not spectacular. The only weak spot of the whole meal was the coffee. But it was served in the most beautiful little cups and saucers (with miniature gold spoons for stirring), that I had to forgive the fact that it wasn't very good.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:34 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    it's too nice, completely. I think even I would really have liked that salad!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home