Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Saturday, July 08, 2006

A Peek at the Past

I was reminiscing yesterday about the first dinner party that Amanda and I gave. In 2003 we sent out invitations that read,

Amanda and Melodee
Request your presence at a
Formal Dinner Party
on Friday, July 18th.
The festivities will begin at 5:30 PM at the
Mattson home.
Please be prepared to share a favorite
poem or passage of literature.


We were very ambitious. Our meal was 5 courses, and if I remember correctly, it seemed like we were cooking for two days straight. Somehow we barely got into our formal gowns before the guests began to arrive. We had appetizers and sparkling cider on the back deck to open the evening. Unfortunately the elegant atmosphere was somewhat marred by the heat and the PA system at Senior High, where the Big Sky State Games were going on a block away!

Here was our menu:

  • Antipasti I: Spiedini alla romana
    (Mozzarella Skewers)
  • Antipasti II: Torta di peperoni al forno
    (Roast Bell Pepper Terrine)
  • Zuppa: Zuppa di fagioli alla toscana
    (Tuscan Bean Soup)
  • Carpo piatto: Pollo alla valdostana
    (Chicken with Prosciutto and Cheese)
  • Dolci: Crostata e Ravioli dolci al forno
    (Cheesecake and Baked Sweet Ravioli)

If I recall correctly, everything was delicious except the roast bell pepper terrine - that was gross, actually. And it took the most work to make! Too bad.

Between each course our guests shared a poem and after dessert was cleared away we did a reader's theater of the "play within a play" from A Midsummer Night's Dream. All in all, a most successful and satisfactory party.

When everyone left Amanda and I said to each other that we were so glad we did it, but if we ever did it again we'd have other people contribute to the meal! Now, three years later, we have it worked out perfectly. . .when we have dinner parties each person is in charge of one part of the meal.


My table. "[Amanda] is the useful one; I confine myself to the merely ornamental."


The delicious Zuppa


The yummiest Dolci


Dessert in the garden

1 Comments:

  • At 9:24 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    I'd forgotten we had all these things! That dessert was SO good! The terrine was mercifully forgettable...it stresses me out just thinking about all the work we put into that slimy stuff! :)

    Your table was lovely, by the way. It's a good thing we don't have dinner at my house very often, because about the best I can do is slap a candle down in the middle of the table...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home