Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Monday, October 31, 2005

Monday (Reformation Day) Quote

I decided that for Reformation Day I should turn to Martin Luther for our Monday quote. Since it is a holiday, I shall share several! A disclaimer: Only one of these quotes I found myself in an original source; the others I found on an internet page claiming to be quotes from Martin Luther. Just so you are fairly warned...
Many things as seen by God are very good, which as seen by us are very bad.
A nice way to put it. Our perspective is finite; God's is not!

Faith is a living, daring confidence in God's grace, so sure and certain that a man could stake his life on it a thousand times.
I think my faith often looks more like a timid awkward pseudo-confidence, sadly.

I am more afraid of my own heart than of the pope and all his cardinals. I have within me the great pope, Self.
I like this turn of phrase, too. I'm afriad I DO have an "infallible pope" inside me!

Pray, and let God worry.
This is for me, the chronic worrier. :)

You should not believe your conscience and your feelings more than the word which the Lord who receives sinners preaches to you.
Here is another apt word for me. I often listen to the Accuser who tells me I'm too wretched to be a child of God. Conscience is a gift, and the Holy Spirit's convicting power is real and is God's best for us. But I know that sometimes I let conviction lead me not to true repentance, but to faithless despair.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is RELLY COOL!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home