Kindred Spirits

"Marilla is a famous cook. She is trying to teach me to cook but I assure you, Diana, it is uphill work. There's so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by the rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in."

Thursday, July 07, 2005

London

I've had sort of a love/hate idea of London for the past year (it's very fun and even rather thrilling to be there, but it also stresses me out and it sure ain't America), but it was horrible to hear about the terrorist attacks on the public transport system this morning. Matthew and I were in Leicester Square just last month... Anyway, this is making me feel much closer to the Brits. Thank God these attacks weren't worse, but that doesn't really make a bus exploding any better, does it?

Andrea laments...
Yes, thank God that more were not killed. I've been very impressed at the British attitude that I've heard in the few interviews I've listened to. For example, yesterday, there was a man on the radio that was going to go to work on the Underground, but it was too busy, so he opted for the the bus. When he got to the bus stop, the bus was too full, so he waited for the next one. As he was calling his boss to say that he was going to be late, a bomb went off in the bus that he just tried to get on. What was his first reaction to cheating death TWICE?? The first thing he did was run to the hospital to give blood. I hope that would be the first thing to come to my mind - a desire to help those who were hurt, not to run in fear. I love it when the terrorists' efforts of striking fear and pandemonium backfire...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home